There is a saying that you have to love yourself first before you can love others. We know its a cliché, but it's true: If you carve the time into your busy schedule to practice good self-care, you will love yourself more and consequently love others more too. If you want to cultivate more self-care or if you are just stressed and don't have the time to go to a spa, why not create a spa at home?
Give yourself permission to have some downtime. After all, as we like to say, we are human beings and not human doings. In this blog, we suggest some calming and nourishing things you can do for a luxurious spa moment in the comfort of your own bathroom. By the way, you don't need to practice it by yourself. Light up some candles, pour a glass of wine, and this can easily become romantic spa time.
Step 1: Heat up your bathroom.
Most of what we are about to suggest, you will perform naked and you won't feel comfortable if you are cold. So either turn the heater up or use one of those portable heaters.
Step 2: Make yourself comfortable.
Take a blanket, towels, and/or a comfortable chair to sit on, put on your favorite music, light up some candles, pour some wine or a cozy tea, whatever it takes to set the mood to a relaxing atmosphere.
Step 3: Pull the products you are going to need.
- An exfoliating face mask and mixing ingredients (for example honey or yogurt if you are mixing your mask with something other than water)
- A body buff
- Bath salt or a relaxing essential oil
- A body and a face moisturizer.
First, let's exfoliate.
We don't want to sound like a broken record, but exfoliation is important because it removes dead skin and promotes cell re-growth and renewal. Apply an exfoliating mask on your face, like our B Green Mud Mask, and while the mask is working, use the body buff, like our Moisturizing Body Buff, to exfoliate your body. We recommend exfoliating before getting into the water to give the product some time to work on your skin. Once you get into warm water, the steam will open up your pores even more. When you are almost done, turn on the water in the tub or the shower, so you step right into your warm bath when you are finished exfoliating. That's also a good time to sprinkle bath salts or essential oils into the water.
Second, let’s enjoy the warm water.
Remove your mask and body buff with warm water. Splashing water on your face triggers the mammalian diving reflex. This reflex will make your body believe that you are going for a swim underwater, so your heart rate will drop, and you will feel calmer. After you have cleaned your body, take the time to be fully present by focusing on your breath. Notice your breath for a minute and then start controlling your breath by breathing in for five seconds, holding for five seconds, and then very slowly breathing out again. Control your breathing for a couple of minutes and then start noticing your body. Start at your toes and then all the way up to your head. Notice where you might be holding tension, where you might be experiencing some pain and let the warm water do its work! When you’re finished, step out of the shower or bathtub and dry your body.
Third, let’s get hydrated and moisturized.
Once you have stepped out of your bath, your skin will be the perfect clean slate to fully absorb the lotions you will use next. Your skin will not only be clean, but your pores will be open, and your blood circulation will also be better. Pick a body and a face lotion that will both hydrate and moisturize your skin. Hydration is important to improve the amount of water in the skin, and a moisturizer will create a barrier, so you don't lose moisture afterward. Consider the use of creams and lotions also rich in antioxidants like our Carrot Facial Dream Cream, our Luxe Body Butter and our Eco Body Lotion.
Now that you have completed your home spa and you are feeling nourished, calmer and happier, give yourself a pat on the back for being so kind to yourself. If you try this routine, we would love to know how it worked out for you. Please leave us a comment on our social media platforms or send us an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
As one of the first skin care companies to have its products earn the Nationally renowned EWG VERIFIED™ status, Sally B's Skin Yummies is proud to join Kourtney Kardashian and the Environmental Working Group (EWG) to take a stand for cosmetics reform through their #BeautyMadeBetter Campaign. And what a better way to celebrate than a nice, big sale on all of our EWG Verified Products!
Did you know that US cosmetics laws have remained largely unchanged since the Great Depression? What’s even more depressing is that Congress has left it up to consumers to find out about harmful chemicals, like formaldehyde, asbestos and lead acetate in their personal care products. Watch this video to find out more and join us in telling Congress we need a makeover with cosmetics legislation.
Sally B's Skin Yummies is committed to upholding the requirements of the stringent EWG VERIFIED™ program, which include:
Avoiding ingredients that authoritative health bodies have flagged for potential health concerns
Providing labeling that fully discloses its ingredients
Using adequate preservatives
Being free of contaminants, and
Following good manufacturing practices.
Find all of our Sally B’s Skin Yummies EWG Verified products HERE
To bring about awareness to this incredible program, the Environmental Working Group is currently traveling around the country organizing after-hours pop-ups which spotlight #EWGVerified scientists, partners, and products. We were excited to be included in their event in West Hollywood and are actively working with EWG to earn their seal on the entire collection of Skin Yummies, including new products being developed! To learn more, check out our blog post on The Importance of the EWG Verified Program and the EWG Verified: For Your Health website and join us to bring about positive change to cosmetics legislation!
Do you know why HYALURONIC ACID (HA) is considered a miracle anti-aging compound? HA is an extremely effective humectant whose job it is to attract water to skin cells. The unique makeup of this ingredient allows it to hold up to 1,000 times its weight in water, adjusting its moisture rate based on the given humidity. This keeps skin balanced and ensures that your skin is not holding an excess of moisture. When applied topically, Hyaluronic acid creates a layer over the skin that allows it to breathe, absorb, and retain moisture.
But why is moisture in your skin so important in the first place? Good question! Proper hydration keeps cells functioning at their most optimum. Well-moisturized skin enables cells to repair themselves and produce new, healthy cells. When there is a break down of cells - whether from free radicals or age-related deteriorations – wrinkles, fine lines, and age spots start to appear.
When browsing through the Sally B’s Skin Yummies’ collection, you will find that we use HA (lab created, vegan approved) in many of our daily-wear facial products, including our Carrot Facial Dream Cream, Intensive Eye Repair, Tinted Moisturizer, Daytime Antioxidant Serum, Nighttime Antioxidant Serum, and let us not forget our new star product, the Peptide Booster Serum.
If you have any questions, please send us a message on our social media pages or an e-mail to email@example.com. We love to receive messages from our customers, even if it is just to update us on your progress!
Can My Skin Benefit From Vitamin C? 0 Comments
One of our wonderful customers sent us a message the other day saying that she had acne when she was a teenager and that she is still recovering from it in her adult life. Therefore, she wanted to know what we recommend for brown spots (also known as pigmentation), acne scars and uneven skin. This question made us realize that this is a good time to talk about vitamin C and why our Antioxidant Skin Boost (which is loaded with vitamin C) comes in a powder format and not in a serum as you will find from many companies.
First of all, Ascorbic Acid, also known as L-ascorbic acid, is the most popular form of vitamin C because it has the most skin-related research. There are other types of vitamin C, which we will discuss in a separate blog but for now, Ascorbic Acid is the type of vitamin C we will feature in this post because research shows that it can:
Brighten up the skin. The brightening effects can be attributed to the fact that vitamin C inhibits tyrosinase, which is a key enzyme in producing pigment in our skin. By inhibiting this enzyme, vitamin C helps to lighten any discoloration from sun spots, age spots, or acne scars.
Repair free-radical damage from external factors such as pollution, cigarette smoke, oxidation, etc. Just as many potent antioxidants, vitamin C donates an electron, neutralizing the free radical and by doing so it remains stable even with the loss of an electron.
Promotes collagen production. Collagen is key to firm, soft, and supple skin. Without collagen, our skin loses its elasticity, which in turn leads to wrinkles and fine lines. Our bodies naturally create it, but as we age, our bodies break down the collagen and our ability to produce more diminishes. Luckily, when topically applied, Vitamin C has been proven to stimulate the synthesis of collagen.
Reduces inflammation. Research shows that Vitamin C protects against harmful substances that contribute to disease. Because of this, studies suggest that it has some anti-inflammatory benefits.
But does any Vitamin C, especially Ascorbic Acid, do the trick?
The answer is NO with capital letters. Chances are that many of the vitamin C serums and lotions you see out there no longer have an effective vitamin C in them. Vitamin C is a very finicky ingredient, and it is prone to breaking down, starting from the moment that it is dissolved in water. To avoid that and make sure the vitamin C stays effective, we made our Antioxidant Skin Boost in a powder format.
Another important factor to consider is that, while Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant, it is more beneficial when formulated with other antioxidant and cell-communicating ingredients. This is why we combine in our Antioxidant Skin Boost L-ascorbic acid with Organic Pomegranate Extract, Allantoin, Hyaluronic Acid, and Resveratrol for a product that repairs and protects.
Going back to our customer's question: Who can benefit from vitamin C and how do you properly use it?
Well, since vitamin C promotes collagen production, repairs free-radical damage, brightens up the skin, and has anti-inflammatory properties, it's hard to find any skin, at any age, that wouldn't benefit from vitamin C. If you are recovering from acne scars or pigmentation, you can benefit from it. If you are stressed and exposed to many free-radicals, you can benefit from it. If your skin is showing signs of aging, you can benefit from it. This is why so many people rave about vitamin C. It is, in fact, a very versatile and beneficial ingredient.
Now, if you chose our Antioxidant Skin Boost as your vitamin C product, this is how we recommend that you use it. Every night put your favorite serum or moisturizer in the palm of your hand, mix it with a scoop of the Antioxidant Skin Boost (by the way, this product comes with a little spoon) and apply it on your face. You can also use this product with your favorite mask. No matter how you mix it, if you use it every day for a couple of weeks, it will give your complexion a healthy glow, while slowing down the aging process!
If vitamin C is already part of your routine or if you try it after you read this blog, we would love to know how it is working out for you. Please leave us a comment on our social media platforms or send us an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to Choose a Non-Toxic Lipstick 0 Comments
Why are we advocates of nontoxic lipstick at Sally B's Skin Yummies? One reason is that our lips have skin that is much thinner than other types of skin on the body and lacks the hair and sweat glands to protect them leaving lips vulnerable to toxicity and damage from the elements. Another reason is that many maintain that we actually ingest what we wear on our lips. To be on the safe side, we like to think that what we put on our lips is safe enough to eat!
Lead and other toxic substances are unintended contaminants or impurities that can be present at low levels in some color additives and other common ingredients, like water, that are used to produce cosmetics, including lipstick. Here are some tips to use when shopping for nontoxic lipstick:
- The FDA’s position is to limit lead and other impurities to a certain level in cosmetics, so look for companies that avoid heavy metals at all levels.
- Avoid products that use color additives like Yellow No. 5 or Red No. 30, and choose products that achieve color naturally with micas.
- Look for products that use organic oils and butters instead of water.
- Seek out companies that go beyond what the FDA approves and add an extra level of scrutiny to ensure purity of their ingredients.
Since we are passionate about nontoxic skin care products, we use only the highest quality organic, natural, and wildcrafted ingredients for our B Glossy Lip Gloss, Lip Yummies and Lip Skinnies so you can feel good knowing that our lipstick is:
- Made with 98% organic ingredients
- Colored naturally with micas & do not contain Carmine or artificial colors
- Free of gluten, mineral oil & other petroleum-based ingredients
- Contains no artificial flavoring
Find out more about the guidelines we follow HERE.
Golden Rules to Win the Skin Care Super Bowl 0 Comments
With the Super Bowl just around the corner, it turns out there are lessons to be learned from professional sports that apply to our skincare routines ~ whether you are a sports fan or not! Check out our play-by-play guide to help tackle unhealthy habits by comparing football to some of our Golden Rules in Skin Care and create a strategy to make a touchdown with healthy, glowing skin!
RULE #1 - Attend practice daily
Few players are so talented that they could skip practice and then play a winning game. To be successful, players practice every day to stay fit and perfect their game. If you neglect your skin every day and go straight to facials and plastic surgery, you will be left scrambling to treat symptoms without addressing the cause of your skin issues. Healthy and glowing skin is a result of healthy habits. For best results, find a skincare routine that works for you, even if it's just a 5-minute routine, and stick to it every day.
RULE #2 - It takes a team to win the game
Yes, Tom Brady is awesome and good looking just like Superman, but even a super talented quarterback needs the help of his teammates to win the game. When it comes to skincare, unless you are a dermatologist or an esthetician, you need to surround yourself with people you trust and whom you can ask questions when needed. Seeing a dermatologist once a year, having an occasional facial, and following a company you trust that is serious about educating consumers are great habits to have. Don't drop the ball by trying to do everything on your own. You can go it alone only so far, and it’s super beneficial to have a support system.
RULE #3 - Wear the right gear
Ask a football player how important it is to use a helmet while playing football. To avoid injury during the game, all players need to use safe and quality gear. The same is true for skincare products. Being conscious of the products you use is essential. Our skin is our body’s largest organ and acts as a tissue, absorbing most everything that you slather on it. The ingredients in your products will enter into your body and your bloodstream. Pass on using products with toxic components and instead, seek out skin care products that are made with organic, natural, and good-for-you ingredients. And don’t just stop with skin care products. The laundry detergent, cleaning supplies, candles, and air fresheners in your home can come in contact with your skin and lungs affecting your health as well.
RULE #4 - What you do outside the field is just as important
If you want to be a professional player, you need to sleep and rest properly, or you’ll end up fumbling the game. Having good health is part of a successful skincare routine and a happy life. Your lifestyle choices play a critical role in your skin health so don't minimize the importance of good sleep and regular exercise, including yoga. Both of these activities will increase oxygen flow to your skin to help keep it clear and free of toxins. Since unhealthy levels of stress can affect the appearance of your skin, use diet, exercise, yoga, and meditation to keep your stress levels low and balanced.
RULE #5 - Drink plenty of water
If you observe football players during a break in the game, you will see that they stay hydrated by drinking lots of water. Kick off good health by carrying around water in a glass or nontoxic container at all times. Keeping yourself hydrated is vital because it allows your body’s systems and cells to function at their very best by absorbing and digesting all nutrients found in your food and skincare products while your blood circulates efficiently ridding the body of nasty toxins.
Okay, you are now ready to win the Skin Care Super Bowl! We know it takes time to incorporate new habits and it’s not always easy, so if you ever have questions or have any skin concerns, please leave us a comment on social media or send us an email to email@example.com. We are always happy to hear from you!
Our hands can get extra dry in the winter time, especially as we work our way down our to-do lists! Not to mention that we are in the middle of flu season and cleaning our hands with harsh soap or sanitizers multiple times during the day can accentuate dryness and the appearance of wrinkles.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), studies have shown that using soaps containing antibacterial ingredients is not more effective than regular soap. This is also true when you wash your hands properly using clean running water to wet, lather, scrub, and rinse. Try to dry hands with clean towels or air dry. According to the CDC, there is no difference between using cold or hot water, and scrubbing for at least 20 seconds is ideal. Keep in mind that this is not true for those who work in a healthcare setting who are still required to use sanitizers and antibacterial soaps.
If hand sanitizers, antibacterial products or hot water can't be avoided or you need to wash hands multiple times during the day, the best next thing that you can do to prevent discomfort is to use safe and effective hand soap and hand moisturizer. This is something we keep this in mind when creating our Foaming Hand Soap and Healing Hand Butter.
Sally B’s Skin Yummies Foaming Hand Soap is ideal to help prevent excessive hand dryness because it is gentle enough to clean and leaves your hands silky and moisturized. The fact that this soap is already foamed helps to make it gentle and effective in cleaning your hands. We use oils such as coconut, jojoba, and olive oil that will keep your hands soft and moisturized by creating an occlusive, protective barrier on the surface. Additionally, our soap is EWG Verified which means that it is made with certified organic ingredients and is free of artificial-fragrances.
However, using a good soap might not be enough to moisturize your hands so consider adding a nice hand moisturizer to your routine, like our Healing Hand Butter. This is an excellent product because it is full of oils, rich butters, and natural botanicals to not only moisturize, but also create a protective barrier on the surface. A bonus is that our Hand Butter’s luscious oils and butters are easily absorbed into the skin and can reverse the effects of dryness, heal the skin, and reverse the effects of aging. Plus, it’s EWG verified!
In summary, to protect your hands, we recommend a gentle soap and a rich hand moisturizer. What you should look for in a soap is:
- Effectiveness and gentleness of the surfactant that is used in the product
- Good-for-you emollients to help your hands retain moisture and reverse the effects of free radicals
- Non-toxicity of the ingredients used
In addition to a good-for-you soap, use (at least twice per day) a rich plant-based moisturizer that will protect, heal, and soothe your hands.
The Foaming Hand Soap comes in 5 refreshing scents: Lemongrass (original scent), Lavender, Sweet Lemon Ginger, Peppermint, and Unscented.
The Healing Hand Butter comes in 4 indulging scents: Sweet Lemon Ginger, Citrus Vanilla, Lavender, and Unscented.
Sunday Soul with Sally 0 Comments
Today’s Soul Sunday features Sally Larsen, Owner/Creator of Sally B’s Skin Yummies, sharing some inspirational thoughts to wrap up your week on a positive note!
I was asked over the holidays about how the biz was going. I answered as I usually do.
“It was a great year. More people are looking for clean, non-toxic and organic products that actually work and that’s what we provide.”
Often, these discussions lead to my role in the company and how it feels to be the owner of a cosmetic company. My usual reply is that it’s challenging. Many people working in this industry are gorgeous and photogenic. They are styled. To me, many look manicured and flawless in front of the camera. That is just not me. I don't go to extremes to look good. I dress more for comfort than for anything else, and I don't think that my “smile lines," also known as wrinkles, are necessarily a bad thing. Hey, as my Dad used to say: It beats the alternative.
I am not fishing for an argument when these discussions come up. Many times I end up regretting that I replied in that way because sure enough, the comeback is something about my looks like, “Oh but you’re beautiful!” or they express how great it is that I’m real and that I’m inspiring. And back to looks is usually where it goes...I kick myself often that I even brought it up.
I know all too well that looks have nothing to do with how “beautiful” we are or how much we want to take care of ourselves. Really, over the past few years, doing what I feel is my call to do, I have met many women from very different walks of life, sizes, colors, and beliefs, and all of them were beautiful. I've said more than once that working in this healthy space attracts wonderful, beautiful people. There is a special type that cares deeply about not only what they expose themselves and their families to but also seeks to improve the world by eliminating toxins from their daily lives and our planet. Beauty emanates from all of them.
Even so, one of my resolutions is to focus on feeling beautiful, whatever this means ~ beauty from the inside out if you will. First of all, beauty is a broad term that goes way beyond appearance. We all have our own look and our own quest to be healthy in whatever way we deem most effective. I do have an additional goal which is to help women on their holistic journeys and to do it in a safe, non-toxic manner. Still, I will strive to pay more attention to my own interpretation of beauty and how I can make a difference in doing so.
Lastly, I just want to say that I do think you are beautiful and that I feel very privileged to work for you every day. Look in that mirror and believe it!
If your goal is to get healthy in 2019, we applaud and support you every step of the way. We also encourage you to add a non-toxic skincare routine to your resolution list!
With that said, it's important to know that when adding new products, you should do it gradually, even with non-toxic products. Anything new, including plant-based ingredients, can be a shock to your system if introduced all at once, especially when your body is busy adapting to this change and releasing accumulated toxins from your "old" lifestyle.
When people consider making a transition to non-toxic skincare products, questions often arise like:
Is it too expensive? Where do I start? Which products should I use?
We realize it can become overwhelming investing in new products and even figuring out where to start. The good news is that you don’t have to break the bank to go clean! And as far as accomplishing your goal for a healthy new year, let us offer some suggestions to guide you on your journey to a clean skincare routine.
Here are some tips to help with your transition to healthier products:
Take Inventory. Make a list of all the personal care products you use and research their toxicity on the Environmental Working Group’s Skin Deep Cosmetic Database.
Rank your products. You’ll notice that some of your products will rank higher than others. Rank them going from most toxic to the less toxic and consider swapping out the most toxic first.
Research the replacements. Look for companies that verify their products for non-toxicity and use mostly organic and non-toxic ingredients.
Try samples/travel sizes, to make sure you have selected the right products for you.
Swap out your products as you run out of them. When you are out of moisturizer, replace it with a healthy option. This will give you time to get used to new products while implementing a gradual change in your daily routine.
Clean your brushes. Something often overlooked, but very important, is to always remember to switch out or clean your brushes when you transition to a new makeup product. Bacteria and chemical residue from a previous product can accumulate in brushes, and we wouldn’t want anything interfering with your new, healthy products.
Lastly, give yourself a pat on the back for making this incredible decision to switch to clean products! Changing to a healthier lifestyle is one of the best long-term solutions you can make to your overall well being and for the sake of our planet. Stay tuned next week when we will talk about detox routines and products to use to keep you on the path to a healthier lifestyle.
If you have any questions, please send us a message on our social media pages or an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. We love to receive messages from our customers, even if it is just to update us on your progress!
When you hear Christmas carols in the northern hemisphere, most likely it is getting cold outside. During the cold months, the air gets drier and starts sucking moisture from your skin. This is the time of the year that you are more likely to experience dryness and flakiness. But don´t worry, we have your back! One of our goals in the colder months to come is to give you tips on how you can maintain your beautiful winter glow. In this blog, we talk about products you can use on your face, lips, and body to combat excessive dryness.
In addition to these products, another great suggestion is to consider a home humidifier. If you cannot have one in every room, have one at least in your bedroom during the night. A humidifier will create a moist environment for your skin to "drink" during the night.
- Wash Your Face With A Gentle Cleanser – a good example is our TAMANU LUXURY FACIAL CLEANSER. The cleansing agent in this super-popular cleanser is saponified from oils of organic coconut, olive, and jojoba. Also it contains such wonderful moisturizing ingredients as organic camellia oil and tamanu oil. The great benefit of having oils in a cleanser is that they bind to impurities, and pull out dirt without clogging pores or stripping away beneficial oils. The oils in the Tamanu Facial Cleanser are also rich in antioxidants to combat free radicals.
- Add An Extra Layer of Moisture – one of our favorite moisturizing products is our B QUENCHED FACIAL OIL. If your regular moisturizer is not enough (and you will know), B Quenched Facial Oil can be just what you need. It is lightweight and can be used any time of the day to help skin retain moisture. Plus, the oils in B Quenched are rich in essential fatty acids, vitamins, and antioxidants to give your face a much needed healthy glow during the cold months.
- Use A Lip Balm Without Mineral Oil - be extra careful in the winter to not use a lip balm with mineral oil, a petroleum byproduct and a known carcinogen. Mineral oil creates an impermeable barrier that traps your body´s current moisture in, yet does not let additional moisture in. That´s why we created LIP YUMMIES, LIP SKINNIES, and LIP ASSIST CONDITIONING TREATMENT with rich moisturizing, good-for-you oils. If you need some color, LIP SKINNIES are a great option. If you just want to soothe your lips, LIP YUMMIES can help. If your lips are getting very dry and chapped, the LIP ASSIST can be your BFF (please note that you can wear the LIP ASSIST alone or over another product and/or even around your lips).
- Use Extra Rich Moisturizers – a good example is our ECO BODY LOTION (soon in a new scent, Warm + Woodsy + Floral to compliment the season). Our lotion is free from artificial fragrances and full of organic oils and butters to moisturize your skin. Another great advantage of using a lotion such as ECO BODY is its ingredients have anti-inflammatory and skin calming properties.
- Address Excessive Dryness As Soon As Possible - if your regular moisturizing routine still leaves your skin in need, consider our ANYWHERE BODY BALM. This silky balm is versatile in use and works hard to heal skin by stimulating new cell growth. Plus, it's super soothing.
Why You Should Use (The Right) Toner 2 Comments
It can be argued that toner is one of the most underrated skin care products on the market. Toner plays an important role in skin health but is clouded with misconception. Using a toner is thought to be too drying and only necessary for those suffering from acne. And while in some instances that can be the case, the right toner can hydrate, exfoliate, and prime the skin.
Toners formulated with alcohols can dry out the skin (beware of toners that contain Isopropyl Alcohol), but others, like our Fruit Acid Toner use alpha hydroxy acids to enrich the skin. This water-like product is able to quickly and efficiently penetrate the skin to offer instant moisture, while gently exfoliating the top layer of skin. Sloughing off dead skin cells through this exfoliation process will keep pores from getting clogged, and allow moisturizers, serums, and other follow-up facial products to reach and benefit the skin’s surface.
Adding to the long line of skin care misconceptions, exfoliation does not only occur through the use of an abrasive ingredient. Sugar, salt, and seeds might be effective for hands, feet and other rough spots on the body, but the skin on our faces is extremely delicate. Using one of these ingredients can cause capillaries underneath our skin to break, resulting in red spots and other damage. Alpha hydroxy acids (AHA), on the other hand, work to “unglue” the bonds between our skin and dead skin cells to aid in the shedding process. AHAs are derived from natural substances, like fruit in the case of our Fruit Acid Toner.
So who should use a toner? Everyone can benefit from a toner, but especially those with aging skin as our ability to naturally slough off dead skin cells diminishes as we age. Also, those who are affected by sun or wind damage. The elements can create an abundance of dead skin cells and exfoliation is essential.
But even those products made without irritating alcohols should still be used sparingly at first. Acids can be irritating when first introduced to the skin, so we recommend diluting a cotton pad with water before applying our Fruit Acid Toner. Use it once a week at first, building up to 2-3 times a week, daily, or as much as your skin needs. And always follow up with a moisturizer or serum.
How To Pick The Right Toner
- Avoid harsh toners that include alcohols, as they can be severely drying and irritating to the skin.
- Avoid toners that use parabens or chemical preservatives, like Urea Imidzaolindinyl and DMDM Hydantion. Since toner is a water-based product, preservatives are necessary to keep microorganisms from forming. Parabens are the most common preservatives (they’re convenient and cheap!) but have been linked to severe health issues like cancer.
- Even if your toner says it includes a moisturizing element (think: aloe vera, vitamin E), you will still want to follow up with an effective, non-toxic moisturizer to keep your skin’s moisture levels balanced.
- Regular use of a good cleanser, like our Tamanu Luxury Facial Cleanser, will help keep your skin clean and bacteria free, reducing the amount or frequency of toner you have to use. This is helpful to those with dry or sensitive skin.
- Not sure about your toner’s toxicity level? Download the EWG’s Skin Deep mobile app (complete with a convenient barcode scanner!) or visit their website to see how its ingredients rank.
So what are you waiting for? Pick up a bottle of Fruit Acid Toner and see just how regular exfoliation can make your skin glow!
Can Toxins Contribute to Weight Gain? 0 Comments
We understand that weight, and the disciplines of losing it and maintaining it can be a struggle. As part of our healthy journey - which weight is a huge part of - we are bombarded with diets, groups, coaches, and exercise routines (not to mention the gimmicks and gadgets). There are so many options available to help us shed the pounds and/or maintain our weight, but sometimes, no matter how vigilant we are, nothing seems to work.
Most commonly we focus on diet and exercise to shed pounds. But as Dr. Eric Berg reminds us, you must be healthy in order to maintain a healthy weight. More and more research is coming available to support how environmental toxins - those in the air we breathe, the processed foods we eat, and the products we put on our skin - can lead to weight gain or stalled weight loss. Dr. Mark Hyman explains that toxic chemicals can hinder our body’s ability to balance blood sugar and metabolize cholesterol. It's not surprising since chemical toxins are known to be fat soluble. Simply put, when you have an excess of toxins, which the body cannot always expel, your body creates fat tissue to store them.
Some eye-opening food for thought:
- Toxins can cause inflammation, which keeps your body from performing at its best.
- Stress from toxins or inflammation can cause the body to call upon its “flight or fight response.” Among other things, this can result in a slowed metabolism.
- Toxic chemicals can disrupt hormones.
Toxins easily enter our bodies in multiple ways: through our diet, the air we breath, and through the products we put on our skin. Our bodies do have some natural filters to help dispel the toxins. However, toxins can make their way into our essential body systems. There, they can manipulate hormones, slow metabolism, and call upon the body to make more fat.
There is a long list of toxic ingredients we regularly urge you to avoid. We could reiterate those now, but instead of making a list of "don'ts", it is easier (and more fun!) to talk about the ingredients and products you should trust for your skin care needs.
Products made ethically and consciously, with organic ingredients, are our recommendations. Products formulated with clean, organic ingredients give your skin the results you crave without any of the lurking chemical toxins that can enter your blood stream and disrupt your body functions.
While there is no guarantee that reducing the toxins in your skin care, or even environment, will help you lose weight, there's no risk in trying. In fact, you have everything to gain. Feeding your skin with enriching, thoughtful ingredients can improve the appearance of your skin, improve the quality of air that you breathe, and alleviate symptoms of some common skin care ailments.
Outside of some well-known alternative healers, the mainstream medical community does not typically contribute to the conversation about the correlation of skin care and weight. We would be amiss to tell you that simply switching to non-toxic products will immediately result in weight loss. But, when you consider the chemicals we are exposed to, and the biology of our skin (it's a large organ that acts like a sponge), it makes sense that using clean ingredients would serve our health best. It makes sense to avoid food products without chemicals, so why should it be any different with the skin care products we put on our skin?
Please note that we are not medical professionals.
Are you suffering from cracked, inflamed skin? Have an acne flair up? Did your rosacea “bloom” this morning? Whatever the issue, a skin crisis can have the potential to be debilitating. Our tendency is to quickly cover up the problem, and while that can work, there are some natural skin care options that can be both a quick fix and a long term remedy.
Here are some product tips and daily lifestyle tweaks that can help you proactively and reactively deal with common skin care crises.
CRACKED, DRY HANDS + FEET
- To combat extreme dryness, lather hands and/or feet with Healing Hand Butter and cover them with gloves or socks before going to bed. This will allow the moisture-rich ingredients to focus on your skin while you get your beauty sleep.
- Call into action a couple of ingredients that are naturally healing. Our Tamanu Neem Healing Bar features Organic Neem Oil and Organic Tamanu Oil, both of which repair skin cells and can remedy cracked skin.
- Ensure that your environment has plenty of moisture. While you can’t change the climate outdoors, you can add a humidifier to indoor air to deliver the moisture your skin craves.
- Keep skin soft and smooth with moisture-rich products like Healing Hand Butter, Eco Body Lotion, and Luxe Body Butter. Ensure that you pick products without potentially toxic ingredients like Parabens or mineral oil.
- Don’t over-wash hands as many traditional soap products can be irritating and/or drying. Avoid any soap containing Triclosan or antibacterial ingredients, which can strip the skin of its own moisture barrier (and, not to mention, is harmful to the environment).
- Exfoliate skin with our organic Moisturizing Body Buff to get rid of dry, flaky skin so that your moisturizing ingredients can reach the skin and do their job.
- Keep your hands and feet protected. That means wearing gloves when you’re in the snow or gardening, and shoes on your feet when you’re outside.
- Exfoliate your lips with a DIY mixture of honey and sugar. Apply to lips and let sit for a few minutes before rubbing gently to help slough off dead skin cells, and reveal fresh skin primed to absorb moisture-rich products.
- Apply Lip Assist Conditioning Treatment to your lips. It will keep them moisturized and smooth with its high powered ingredients straight from Mother Nature.
- For immediate relief from a cold sore or crack on the lips, spot treat with our Tamanu Neem Bar on the affected area. While it may not smell as good as our other products, the effect is amazing.
- Avoid all lip products made with mineral oil as it is deceptively drying.
- Stash organic lip products like our Lip Yummie in routine spots in your day-to-day life, like your purse, desk, car, and nightstand. This will ensure that you can always keep your lips moisturized.
- Add coconut oil to your morning coffee. You’ll be surprised how smooth it makes your coffee and your lips with each sip.
- Add sunscreen to your lips when spending prolonged periods of time outside. You can add a thin layer of non-toxic sunscreen before you put on your Lip Yummie or Lip Skinny.
- Dehydration is a major contributor to chapped lips, so drink more water!
Acne can be caused by many things, like hormones, environment, diet, and more. But there are some things you can do to give your face the upper hand against acne breakouts.
- Mix 1 part apple cider vinegar to 3 parts water. Use a cotton pad to dap on the breakout area. Repeat 2-3 times during the day.
- Make a paste by combining 1 tsp of Sally B’s B Green Mask with 1 Tbsp Honey (Manuka Honey is especially effective in calming inflammation) and ½ tsp Cinnamon. Dab on affected area and let sit for 20 minutes, before washing it off. The antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties will calm down a breakout.
- Using a cotton swab, spot treat a pimple with organic Tea Tree Oil or Clove Bud oil.
- Wash skin twice a day with a gentle cleanser like our Tamanu Luxury Facial Cleanser. This will keep your skin free of the dirt and bacteria that can make skin oily, clog pores, and contribute to acne.
- Acne-prone skin doesn’t slough off dead skin cells efficiently, so exfoliate skin regularly with a non-toxic alpha-hydroxy toner like our Fruit Acid Toner. Dead skin cells can clog pores and interfere with skin’s natural oil production. It's also important to note that this toner also has organic witch hazel and organic Aloe Vera, which both heal and soothe.
- Avoid irritating ingredients like Bismuth Oxychloride in your makeup. It can be an irritating ingredient and can lead to acne breakouts.
- Increase your water intake. Water can help flush toxins from your body, while allowing your body systems to work at their very best.
- Limit your consumption of dairy and sugar. Dr. Mark Hyman explains that a correlation between diet (i.e. dairy and sugar) and acne exists.
ROSACEA FLARE UPS
- There is little you can do to quickly reverse a Rosacea flare up, but you can reduce the appearance of redness. Our Seafoam Color Corrector is a non-toxic powder makeup that refracts light differently, therefore reducing the appearance of skin redness.
- Make sure to always wear sunscreen, as UV rays can cause irritation and flare-ups.
- Use anti-inflammatory ingredients like Organic Tamanu Oil found in our Tamanu Luxury Facial Cleanser or Organic Calendula that we use in our Carrot Facial Dream Cream.
- Inflammation can be exacerbated by stress, so aim to create more balance in your life. Exercise, yoga, or regular baths can all help to reduce stress.
- Drink more green tea as it contains polyphenols that has both antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. You can even apply it topically by using our Antioxidant Daytime Serum, which has it on its ingredient list.
We recommend keeping an arsenal of reparative products on hand in case of an OMG skin care crisis. Consider picking up our Traveler that has 6 pint-sized portions of our best-selling skin care products. Or, begin to incorporate these skin-loving products into your daily routine so that you can work towards eliminating outbreaks and flare-ups in the first place!
Your Daytime Vs. Nighttime Skin Care Routine 0 Comments
When compiling your personal skin care routine, it’s important to recognize how your skin performs during the day versus at night. The factors that influence the skin vastly differ between the different times of day, and your skin care products should reflect that.
During the day, the skin is bombarded with external, environmental factors. The sun, wind, pollution, and dirt can physically impact the skin, while stress can take its own toll.
The burden of these daytime influencers can create free radicals in your skin, which can lead to aging issues, like fine lines and wrinkles. Free Radicals create an imbalance in our cellular structure which can lead to a host of problems including too dry or too oily skin, the breakdown of otherwise healthy collagen and even skin cancer.
When you prep your skin to take on the day, commit to using products that serve as the first line of defense against free radical formation: products rich with antioxidants. (Learn more about free radicals here).
Not surprisingly, moisture remains an important key characteristic of healthy skin, and keep your skin well hydrated is another piece of the daytime puzzle.
Our essential product picks for the day:
CLEANSER - Each morning, wash your face with our gentle Tamanu Luxury Facial Cleanser, which helps to remove any dirt or sweat that may have accumulated over night. As a bonus, Tamanu Oil, one of the main ingredients in our cleanser, is a natural anti-inflamatory. This will help to reduce any puffiness that results from your slumber.
SERUM - Our Daytime Antioxidant Serum was designed especially to protect your skin during the day. It is is bursting with active antioxidant ingredients, and is able to penetrate deep within skin to repair free radicals at their onset.
MOISTURIZER - While the serum will provide moisture to the layers underneath the surface of your skin, applying a moisturizer will help to keep the outer most skin hydrated. We recommend either our Carrot Facial Dream Cream or our Tinted Moisturizer. These creams will help to balance and calm skin by adding subtle all-over moisture.
Of course these aren't the only products you have to use to use to perfect your daytime routine. Oftentimes you need to make accommodations for the particular season (like in the winter adding a layer of B Quenched).
There’s a lot of truth behind ‘get your beauty sleep.’ From the safety of your bed and the confines of a controlled environment, your skin is given the opportunity to go into reparative mode, reversing the damage from the sun, wind, pollution, dirt, and stress experienced during the day.
Even at night, antioxidants and moisture are the keys to skin’s success. But unlike your daytime routine that relies more on surface level products, it’s important to choose nighttime products that are active and penetrating so they can repair skin from deep within the skin’s layers.
Our essential product picks for the night:
CLEANSER - The most important thing you can do for your skin is to wash away the dirt and grime from the day (read more about the importance of washing your face). Our Tamanu Luxury Facial Cleanser is a gentle product that cleanses, while at the same time calming and soothing skin.
TONER - While the frequency of use will depend on your individual skin type, a toner made with alpha-hydroxy acids is an essential product. Use a toner right after cleansing to slough off dead skin cells and refine pores. This will keep your skin clean and allow other products you put on to do their job properly. Add bonus points for using a toner that also moisturizes skin, like our Fruit Acid Toner.
SERUM - Serums are formulated with a high concentration of active ingredients so that they get to work quickly and are able to concentrate on what they do fast. Our Nighttime Antioxidant Serum, for example, is packed full of hard working, reparative antioxidants. With luxe ingredients like organic Sea Buckthorn oil and CoQ 10, it penetrates into the skin layers and focuses on one thing: repairing damaged skin cells.
ANTIOXIDANTS - Our body produces antioxidants, but its naturally ability to do so diminishes with age. This means we have to add them into our skin care routine when we can. One of the most effective forms of antioxidants is L-Absorbic Acid (aka Vitamin C) and we’ve created our Antioxidant Skin Boost with that in mind. Add a tiny scoop of the powder-based Antioxidant Skin Boost to a nighttime serum or moisturizer and let the Vitamin C and the other healthy ingredients slowly penetrate the skin and offer its reparative properties all night long.
MOISTURIZER - A moisturizer serves a two fold purpose at night: to replenish lost moisture during the day, and keep skin balanced while you’re sleeping. Artificial heat and air can dry skin out, so adding a surface layer moisturizer keeps skin’s moisture levels in proper working order. We recommend layering our B Quenched Facial Oil and our Carrot Facial Dream Cream for a boost of moisture. Plus, these products contain other good-for-you ingredients that enrich skin in other ways, too.
While there are two schools of products for day and night, there are products that can cross over and be used with any routine. Tamanu Luxury Facial Cleanser, Carrot Facial Dream Cream, and Peptide Booster Serum for example are three great products that contribute to your overall skin health (and everyone’s goal of anti-aging!) no matter what time of day.
Common Skin Care Myths Debunked 1 Comment
Over the years we have collected a treasure trove of old wives tales disguised as beauty secrets. From toothpaste on pimples to mouthwash on feet to not sleeping on your side, these stories make us smile as we imagine the women throughout our ancestry who actually subscribed to these practices. As the beauty industry makes a return to a more natural, non-toxic approach, we are finding that these wives tales are being replaced with misconception. These misconceptions are not being passed down through the generations, but rather are heard as sound bites on a commercial, or being skimmed over in blogs. They are statements that, while partly true, come with a two-part answer.
So let's try to set the record straight!
While there is still a lot to learn about organic ingredients and the non-toxic personal care industry in general, we do want to set the record straight on some of the more common misconceptions floating around our industry.
Coconut Oil and Shea Butter are good moisturizers for the face.
While both ingredients have superb moisturizing properties, we do not recommend them for use straight on the face. The large molecules in these plant butters can cause facial pores to become enlarged.
The healthy alternative: moisturize your face with a formulated blend of plant-based oils, like Argan Oil, Camellia Seed Oil, or Marula Oil. Give our B Quenched Facial Oil a shot!
If you can’t pronounce an ingredient on a label, it must be bad.
Not necessarily. The Federal Drug Administration and other worldwide governing bodies demand that ingredients must be listed on a label in INCI (International Nomenclature of Cosmetic Ingredients) terminology. And INCI language can be unpronounceable. Take the hard to say Butyrospermum Parkii, which is the INCI name for Shea Butter. You may be surprised at the ingredients referred to from strange sounding label terms.
The healthy alternative: we don’t expect you to memorize all the INCI names, but you can learn to identify some red flag ingredients (and if there is one on the label, there are bound to be more). Some ingredients to avoid are phthalates listed as “fragrance,” and parabens listed with the prefixes “ethyl-,” “methyl-,” “butyl-,” or “propyl-."
Chemicals are bad and I don’t want them in my products.
This is an all too common statement. Water and oxygen are chemicals. You and I are made of chemicals. Most of what you can see, touch, breathe, and taste is a chemical. "Chemical" is not a scary word, though there are scary chemicals to avoid. Instead of saying you don’t use products with chemicals, explain that you only use products with non-toxic ingredients, or look for products made without potentially hazardous chemicals.
Learn more: The Environmental Working Group (EWG) has a comprehensive database of personal care ingredients and rates them based on their toxicity. Recently they developed the EWG VERIFIED™ certification program (Sally B's was one of the first lines to receive verification status!), which makes shopping for non-toxic ingredients easier. Just look for the seal to know that you’re purchasing products made without chemicals of concern.
Using oils on your skin will make it more oily.
Your skin naturally produces oil to normalize the surface of your skin. It’s important stuff, yet it can be easily stripped away. Harsh cleansers or over exfoliation can deplete skin of its natural oils, causing the skin to overproduce more to compensate. Adding oil to your skin (how much depends on your individual skin type), will ensure that your skin maintains a healthy balance.
All ingredients termed as “acids” or “alcohols” are irritating.
No. Case in point: Hyaluronic Acid is one of the mildest, non-stripping ingredients available to a formulator. And Cetearyl Alcohol is a “fatty” alcohol that serves as an emulsifier, allowing us to blend together incredible ingredients into lotions and other potions.
The right skin care product will cure all of my skin care woes.
It would be amazing if there was one cure-all product, but it's just not that simple. Instead, clear, healthy skin is a result of a combination of factors, like diet, exercise, environment, and, of course, product choice. Ensure that the lifestyle choices and product choices you make all complement one another, because when all your systems are in balance, your skin and your health will be in balance, too.
The healthy alternative: avoiding sugar, getting daily exercise, adding more greens, and getting enough sleep are just a few daily changes you can make to improve your overall health.
The right eye cream will eliminate my dark, under eye circles.
Sadly, no matter the hype, there is not an external solution that will eliminate dark circles under the eyes. Dark circles can be caused by allergies, hormones, genetics, medications, lack of sleep, dietary causes, and even aging. An eye cream can make the skin under your eyes less puffy or tighter, but it can't change its color.
All preservatives are bad.
No, preservatives are an essential part of any skin care formula. When you have an emulsion with water in it, mold and yeast will grow. A preservative is necessary to keep fungi from forming. Not all preservatives are created equal. There are some chemical preservatives – like Parabens – that can have adverse health effects and that you should avoid when purchasing your personal care products
The healthy alternative: Read your lables and seek out products made with non-toxic preservatives. Little known, non-toxic, preservatives like Radish Root or Honeysuckle Bark can be very effective if used properly.
A wise man said, “the more you know, the better you do.” So with this information, go forth and make decisions that are based on the whole story and not just what you may have heard here or there.
Have a Snow Day Spa Day 0 Comments
When the snow has covered your driveway and you're snowed in, take advantage of the time to disconnect in favor of some self-care. Pamper yourself with a spa day. Here are some tips on how to relax and enrich your skin from the comfort of your own home:
- Mix up a custom mud mask. Use a scoop of our B Green Mud Mask with ingredients found in your kitchen. Think greek yogurt, honey, banana, avocado, and olive oil. Let the ingredients moisturize, exfoliate and calm skin while you read a book or relax in a bath. Here's one of our favorite Mud Mask recipes: https://www.sallybskinyummies.com/blogs/blogs/5827812-mix-it-up-b-smoothed-mud-mask-recipe
- Take a relaxing bath. Speaking of a bath, retreat to the tub and relax for a bit. Use our B Soaked Bath Salts to soothe muscles and calm the senses. Here are some reasons why a bath can be so great for you and your skin: https://www.sallybskinyummies.com/blogs/blogs/give-the-gift-of-a-bath
- DIY Mani/Pedi. Dry air and winter weather can leave hands craving moisture. And your cuticles can become dry and cracked. Use our Moisturizing Body Buff, Cuticle Bar, and Healing Hand Butter to treat hands and feet to a much needed massage. The ingredients will enrich skin, leaving it soft and smooth.
You don't need to have a snow day to have a spa day. Make these products and rituals part of your regular routine. Take a bath once a week or commit to mixing up a mud mask once a month. Your body and soul will thank you.
'Tis The Season To Give 0 Comments
While charitable giving is important all year round, there's nothing like the holidays to reinspire our giving initiatives.
We all have different organizations that carry personal meaning, but for those of you who are still searching for an organization to support, we offer you a tour through our favorites.
Operating on the "if you teach a man to fish" philosophy, Heifer International empowers families to turn hunger and poverty into hope and prosperity. The organization brings agriculture, animals, and opportunity for commerce to areas with a long history of poverty.
Why we love it: Heifer is a great example of how a small action can make a huge impact.
Learn more: www.heifer.org
Environmental Working Group (EWG)
A non-profit organization, the EWG empowers people to live healthier lives in a healthier environment. With breakthrough independent research and education, EWG drives consumer choice and civic action.
Why we love it: Their Skin Deep Database catalogs personal care and makeup products in reference to their toxicity. There, you can find if the deodorant you want to buy has any ingredients of concern, and search for a healthier option if necessary. They have also created their own certification - EWG VERIFIED™. This certification allows consumers to shop smart. The EWG VERIFIED seal communicates that a product does not contain any ingredients of concern and is transparent with their manufacturing process.
Learn more: www.ewg.org/
Camp MAGIK is an Atlanta-based organization that provides a safe and nurturing environment, where children can express and explore their grief over the death of a loved one, in order to begin the healing process.
Why we love it: Grief is such an important, yet difficult, process, especially for children. Camp MAGIK welcomes children to camp free of charge to help process their grief wtih those experience similar circumstances.
Learn more: www.campmagik.org
While a monetary donation is one way to give, there are other ways to support these and other organizations:
- Give your time. Lending your expertise or extra set of hands can be invaluable to an organization of any size.
- Support companies who have a chartible ethic. Patagonia is fighting to save our public spaces and Ben & Jerry's is fighting for climate justice. Support companies who are using their influence for good.
- Raise your voice. Tell a friend or share a post on Facebook. Sharing is caring!
- Educate yourself. The more you know, the better you do. Understanding the issues will allow you to better communicate with those around you and inspire new ways for you to help!
Sugar's Affect on Skin 0 Comments
The holidays are all about sweet indulgences. From the cookie exchanges to the dessert spread at yet another holiday party, sugar can quickly become its own food group. While delicious, this is not a good thing. Too much of the sweet stuff can have serious consequences on the appearance of your skin.
When we consume sugar, our body processes it by converting it to glucose, which acts as fuel. And when it hits our bloodstream - boom - instant sugar rush. But, at the same time the sugar is giving you renewed energy, it is also attaching itself to the collagen in your skin, causing it to become tough and inflexible. With poor elasticity, skin is unable to bounce back into place, and facial movement lines become more visible. In short, sugar can accelerate the signs of aging.
That's not all. Sugar creates inflammation in our bodies, which can affect our joints and/or increase our susceptibility to illness. Inflammation can also manifest itself into rosacea, acne, rashes, or increased pore size.
Just as quickly as sugar can perk us up, a lack of sugar can make us "crash." When our bloodstream is void of sugar, it starts craving the energy it once had. This is responsible for us snacking on sweets or reaching for a soda in the afternoon. The vicious cycle of sugar rush and crash thus begins. Keep up this bad habit and your body might become conditioned to need a donut or pastry to jump start our morning or need that afternoon soda to make it through the day. Experts say that by balancing and maintaining blood sugar your body will eventually stop craving these skin altering sugars.
Eliminating sugar is more than just cutting out chocolate, soda, and other desserts. High-glycemic carbohydrates, like pasta, bread, white rice, oatmeal, and potatoes, also quickly break down in our bodies and rapidly elevate glucose levels. Even honey, melons, and raisins have a high glycemic index (GI).
With the holidays and all their sweet temptations right around the corner, now is a great time to start transitioning away from foods that rank high on the glycemic index. Here are a few tips and tricks we have used around the Sally B’s kitchen:
- Eat 4-6 smaller meals throughout the day is ideal to help to keep blood sugar levels stable. Keeping yourself fueled (and hydrated!) will keep your blood sugar from plummeting and ensure that you don’t go on an “I need sugar” binge.
- Say no to sugar, artificial sweeteners, honey, and agave in your hot beverages. Instead try natural stevia or xylitol, which you can buy in packet form in any major grocery store. It’s amazing that plants can be so sweetening.
- Swap the soda, sweet tea, Gatorade, and other sugary juices with sparkling water with a twist of flavor. Fresh lemon, lime or raspberries are great additions.
- Drink one of Kimberly Snyder’s Glowing Green Smoothies every morning. It creates natural, all-day energy and eliminates the afternoon crash. Sally's personal tweak to the recipe reduces the sugar content by leaving out some of the fruit. She uses Kale, a whole peeled lemon, an apple or a banana, parsley, cilantro, spinach, celery, ice, Stevia and water. True to its name, drinking this smoothie regularly will help your skin begin to glow.
- Snack before the party. Holiday buffet spreads are bound to be filled with sweets and pastries, so eat before you go. Arriving at a party with a satisfied tummy will help keep you from munching and snacking on sugar-filled treats.
If you do find yourself falling victim to the sugary drinks and treats this winter, help repair skin with these products:
- Nighttime Antioxidant Serum. This antioxidant-rich serum gives your skin an effective and beneficial boost of reparative antioxidants while being a superb moisturizer. Learn more.
- Fruit Acid Toner. Sugar can enlarge pores, so keep them clean and refined with our Fruit Acid Toner, an all-natural alpha hydroxy acid complex. Learn more.
- B Green Mud Mask. Designed to absorb excess oil and toxins from skin, this mask base can be customized to meet the needs of your skin. Add food items like yogurt, avocados, banana and more to calm, moisturize, and refine. Learn more
Kicking the sugar habit is one of the hardest diet changes we have ever made, but it has also been one of the most rewarding. Not only do we feel better physically, but our skin seriously glows; a glow skin care and makeup products can't replicate. We encourage you to discover this beauty secret for yourself. You will see changes in your skin fairly quickly and we are positive that your ROE (return on effort) will be well worth it!
Give The Gift of a Bath 0 Comments
Self-care is often a trending-topic, and for good reason. Self-care can help us to decompress from everyday stress, and improve upon our physical and mental wellbeing. However, in the hustle and bustle of everyday life, it is sometimes hard to stop and take time for ourselves.
Stress affects the mind and body, but it also affects your skin. It can cause acne or eczema flair ups, can create puffiness under eyes, or make skin unusually dry. Because the holidays are synonymous with stress, we encourage you to start making a conscious effort to include self-care into your routine more regularly. You can destress with a yoga class or a good book, but our favorite option is a warm bath. It affords you the time to let your mind wander, muscles to relax, and your soul to be soothed. Plus, it offers many excellect benefits for your skin.
Whether you already have weekly baths on your calendar, or are looking to incorporate baths into your evening routine, here are some tips to maximize the health benefits of a bath:
- Detox. The warm water and steam from your bath naturally opens pores, but for more detoxifying power add sea salt to your tub. It will help to draw out toxins from your body.
- Unplug. Make the tub a gadget-free zone to let your eyes and mind enjoy a much-deserved break from checking updates, emails, and the news.
- Relax. Add a handful of Bath Salts, essential oils, or Epsom salts to your tub to enhance its relaxation potential. Flowers like lavender, calendula, and chamomile, naturally soothe and calm muscles and the mind.
- Choose your products carefully. If you like bubbles in your bath, pay close attention to the products’ ingredients. Bubble bath is notorious for using artificial fragrance, sulfates (cleaning agent that creates sudsy bubbles), and parabens in their product formulation. As you soak in the tub, these ingredients have more time on your skin and can potentially cause more irritation or harm to you skin and body.
- Hydrate. Warm water, steam, and any detoxifying product additions can deplete your body of needed water. It’s important to re-hydrate with plenty of water once you’re finished with your bath. This becomes even more important if you decided to indulge in a glass of wine during your ritual.
- Take a quick shower first. If you have come from a workout, gardening, or any dirty job, rinse off the dirt, grime, and sweat off your body in the shower. The alternative is washing it off in the tub and it remaining in the water for the duration of your bath.
To entice you to take a soak, and to enhance your experience, we created B Soaked Bath Salts, a unique blend of detoxifying salts, calming oatmeal, and pure essential oils. Available in two scents - Purifying and Floral - our Bath Salts are a great self-care option as they help to sooth sore muscles and reduce inflammation. Treat yourself or give as a gift - either way, they are the gift that keeps on giving!
Guess The Number Of Scoops To Win! 100 Comments
CONTEST IS CLOSED. CONGRATS TO RITA G. WHO WON A $50 SALLY B'S GIFT CARD! SHE GUESSED 858 SCOOPS AND THERE WERE 859 SCOOPS!
A big order of Antioxidant Skin Boost scoops arrived and we decided to have a bit of fun!
Through Tuesday, September 12, 2017, guess how many scoops are in the jar. The closest number without going over will win a $50 gift certificate to Sally B's!
Enter your guess in the comment section below through September 12, 2017. We will announce the winner(s) via email on September 13, 2017!
Fine print: The person(s) choosing the number closest to the actual amount without going over will be gifted a $50 Sally B's Gift Card that can be used at www.sallybskinyummies.com through one year of the issue date. Winners will be notified by email on September 13, 2017. Gift cards are not redeemable for cash.
The transition from summer to school can be stressful for students, especially those going to college for the first time. A new environment, schedule, and diet can disrupt your skin health, leaving skin to become blotchy, dry, or even break out. However, with thoughtful product selection, one thing can remain constant during this major life change: your skin health.
In the midst of the hustle of getting out the door and late night study sessions, there are several products that will help you maintain your normal glow.
- Cleanse your face morning and night. When you’re on the go, cleansing is a necessary step in your beauty routine to make sure all the dirt and bacteria is rinsed off your face. Consider using our Tamanu Luxury Facial Cleanser. Not only will it keep your skin clean, but it also has anti-inflammatory properties to reduce any puffiness and/or redness from a long day.
- Use a daytime and nighttime moisturizer. You may not have control over your seat placement in class or where your bed is in your dorm, which may result in you being too close to the artificial heat or ac. Apply an enriching moisturizer, like our B Quenched or Nighttime Antioxidant Serum, to ensure skin won't dry out.
- Stay cool under pressure. Running to class? Keep your makeup from running with a spritz of our B Cool Misting Spray. The Organic Essential Oil of Peppermint will add an instant cool to your skin and the added Bamboo will help to set makeup.
- Get Your Beauty Sleep. Before your head hits the pillow, add a scoop of Antioxidant Skin Boost to your night serum or moisturizer. The enriching antioxidants inside will repair any damaged skin cells that may have occurred from too much sun or stress. While you may not be thinking of wrinkles now, these antioxidants will keep them from forming too soon.
While non-toxic, gentle products play a big role in keeping skin healthy, there are other lifestyle considerations that play a big role in your health:
- Don’t stress. Unhealthy levels of stress can affect the appearance of your skin, so make healthy lifestyle choices (think: diet and regular exercise) to keep stress levels low and balanced. Regularly getting to the gym can be tough with school meetings and study sessions, so think about biking to school or walking the long way to class. And when an unexpected stressful moment strikes…just breathe.
- Get plenty of good sleep. Pulling “all nighters” might seem like the thing to do during the school year, but getting good, restful sleep is essential for proper skin cell and tissue rejuvenation. Achieve restful sleep by clearing your head as much as possible before it hits the pillow. Don’t let your schoolwork or your social media streams be the last thing you see before you fall to sleep. Instead pick up a “for fun” book, chat with a friend, or listen to music to wind down.
- Increase your Vitamin D intake. Vitamin D, a nutrient our bodies cannot make on its own, plays a big role in bone health, as well as works to prevent some disease like cancer, diabetes, and multiple sclerosis. During the summer we get an enriching dose of Vitamin D from the sun, but that exposure significantly decreases once the school year starts. To make up for this loss, add Vitamin D-rich foods, like fish, dairy, cheese, and eggs, to your regular diet.
- Invite your friends over for a spa day. Regularly de-stress and pamper your skin with a spa day. Customize a B Green Mud Mask to meet the needs of your skin, use our Moisturizing Body Buff to exfoliate hands and feet, or paint your nails. Taking regular time out for you (and your skin) is a sure-fire way to keep it healthy.
- Stay hydrated. Dehydration has been known to cause dry skin, dark eye circles, and even acne. Stash a reusable water bottle in your satchel for on-the-go hydration, and instead of caffeine choose herbal tea or coconut water when possible.
Back To School Product Tips For Teachers 0 Comments
Back-to-school can be a stressful time for teachers. After a summer off, teachers must re-acclimate themselves to spending their days inside, on their feet, and navigating the new personalities of their students. During this transition, skin can react negatively.
Consider all new changes skin goes through during the first few weeks of the school year:
- a new sleep schedule, with a presumably earlier wake up call
- a decrease of Vitamin D from days spent outdoors in the sun
- increase exposure to indoor, artificial air, which can dry out skin
- inflammation from standing in front of a classroom
- increased hand washing (must avoid the germs!), which can dry out skin
- an increased use of makeup, since summers generally call for a more natural, less makeup look
During back to school, teachers may experience dry skin, cracked lips, and swollen hands and feet. Their skin may even break out as a result of this change. However, thoughtful skin care considerations can keep skin balanced and healthy, so that it doesn't skip a beat as it goes from beach to classroom.
Sally B's Back To School Product Tips For Teachers
- Cleanse twice a day. Wash face with a gentle cleanser, like our Tamanu Oil Luxury Facial Cleanser, both morning and night to keep pores free of dirt and bacteria. The added organic tamanu oil in our cleanser is a natural ant-inflammatory, which will calm skin from a stressful day.
- Add a moisturizer to your daily routine. Consider applying our B Quenched Facial Oil after cleansing each morning. This lightweight moisturizer quickly absorbs into skin to add lasting moisture to skin so that it is less likely to dry out from the indoor AC that will no doubt be on in full force to keep classrooms cool.
- Stash a moisturizing lip product into your school bag. Teachers do a lot of talking, which can cause lips to dry out. Our Lip Assist Conditioning Treatment adds moisture to lips, while creating a silky, smooth shine. A double duty product for hard working teachers!
- Take care of your hands. Hands can become rough and dry from excessive hand washing and increased work like writing on the board, flipping through papers, etc. Keep a jar of Healing Hand Butter on the desk and moisturize often.
- Get your beauty sleep. Before falling asleep at night, slather feet in our Luxe Body Butter, add a scoop of Antioxidant Skin Boost to your nighttime moisturizer, and put some Intensive Eye Repair under your eyes. Let the good-for-you ingredients repair cells, enhance your beauty, and soothe your skin.
While carefully selected products will be a huge help for your skin, there are other additions you can make to your day to keep your health and skin happy.
- Increase your water intake. You can become easily dehydrated from artificial air and general inflammation from being on your feet. Stay away from too many sugary drinks and keep a reusable water bottle close by. Drink, drink, drink!
- Increase your Vitamin D. Vitamin D, a nutrient our bodies cannot make on its own, plays a big role in bone health, as well as works to prevent some disease like cancer, diabetes, and multiple sclerosis. During the summer we get an enriching dose of Vitamin D from the sun, but that exposure significantly decreases once the school year starts. To make up for this loss, add Vitamin D-rich foods, like fish, dairy, cheese, and eggs, to your regular diet.
- Incorporate exercise into your day. Exercise is known to reduce stress, as well as increase blood flow to the school. For your mental and skin health, you can walk, do yoga, or hit the gym.
The start of the school year might bring stress to your skin, but it's also the start of something fantastic. We love the hard working teachers who work so tirelessly to enrich the minds and lives of our curious young ones.
The Importance of the EWG VERIFIED program 0 Comments
This week we're celebrating the approval of our 18th product earning the EWG VERIFIED™ seal (yay!), and could not be more proud of this accomplishment. Becoming EWG VERIFIED is not for the weary, as the process has stringent guidelines and a meticulous application process. But the rewards are great, as the seal is tangible evidence that our products meet and, in some cases exceed, some very strict standards of safety.
We can't keep Sally from crowing about her growing collection of EWG VERIFIED products, so we channeled her excitement in Q+A form!
What makes products that earn the EWG VERIFICATION™ special?
When I decided to turn my hobby into a business, I knew there would be regulations and requirements that I needed to become familiar with. But instead, I was surprised to find that cosmetic industry was self-regulating. This meant that all the products I had used throughout my life may or may not have been safe.
It became the mission of Sally B's to ensure that every ingredient was carefully researched and sourced before adding to a formulation. We also wanted to set our products apart by being 100% transparent with our labeling and marketing. But aside from my confidence in our products and our word, what would make our products stand out as safe, beneficial, and of high quality?
We considered certifying our products as organic by the USDA Certified Organic program. While our products could earn the seal, a recognizable shopping icon, the program was written for and mostly applies to food products. While technically our products are safe to ingest, we don't recommend doing so. Have you heard someone qualify their skin care purchase by saying, "I only put on my skin what I would eat?" Our response to that is, you absolutely want to use organic shea butter or organic tamanu oil on your skin, but you definitely wouldn't want to eat either.
Right at the point that we felt that we had to make this crucial decision whether or not to apply for USDA certification, we were introduced to the EWG VERIFIED program. This program offers us the opportunity to earn a seal that indicates that our formulas have been scrutinized for safely like no other program available in the United States. It is an identifying marker that we are proud to put on our products.
Why are not all Sally B's products EWG VERIFIED?
Some of our formulas simply don't apply for verification. For example, we label our B Unbitten as a bug repellent and there is currently no "licensable category" for bug repellents.
Then there are just some ingredients that are more difficult to get verified, like essential oils. The EWG has very strict criteria regarding certain essential oils. We have been asked to supply specific testing results for components of certain essential oils. For example, in order to get products with Organic Peppermint Essential Oil approved, we had to supply test results that measured the amount of Pulegone in the oil. None of my very reputable suppliers had ever tested for Pulegone. We eventually did find a supplier that tested for it, but with that comes time and costs to get that newly sourced ingredient into our production chain. And Organic Peppermint Essential Oil is not the only ingredient like this.
Even though there are challenges, we believe in the EWG VERIFIED program so much that we are willing to jump through the hoops to get our current collection and future products verified. We will update you as products become verified...stay tuned!
Why should shoppers choose an EWG verified product over one that is not?
The EWG program is rigorous and their standards meet or exceed other programs. We often look to Europe and Canada to provide standards of excellence when it comes to formulating safe cosmetic products. Those countries have banned approximately 1300 ingredients from cosmetic formulations on the market. The USA has banned 11. The EWG takes much of this information, as well as their own quality standards, and uses it when evaluating a product produced here.
What does EWG VERIFIED mean to Sally B's Skin Yummies?
This verification seal has given us the backing and the credibility to stand behind what we say about our products. We make our products to create effective, non-toxic alternatives to everyday products. We use the highest concentration of certified organic ingredients available. And now with the EWG VERIFIED seal, we can say that we have been scrutinized and approved by one of the most highly recommended sources for personal care product safety.
Make-Up Free, But Not Skincare Free 0 Comments
From celebrities to everyday women, going without makeup is becoming more commonplace. We even see it with our customers since our skincare products have shown to improve skin tone and texture. Why not show off that beautiful skin with a makeup-free day. While inspiration behind the makeup-free look varies from woman to woman, we applaud the confidence to create your own personal look and display your natural beauty.
If you decide to adopt a makeup-optional look, it’s important not to also cast aside your daily skin care products. Recently we watched an online video comparing a makeup-free and a full makeup application routine; the woman going without makeup simply splashed some water on her face before heading out the door to start her day. We wish getting ready in the morning was that simple, but our skin needs daily enrichment from our products to stand up to the elements and the daily stresses placed on the skin.
Understanding the needs of your skin is important so that you can determine the best course of action for its health. There are several things to consider when picking products for your daily routine:
Antioxidants are necessary and help to minimize the signs of aging. From artificial indoor air to smog-filled streets, our skin is constantly tested by the elements. Some of these external factors – like UV rays from the sun or cigarette smoke – can create an imbalance within skin cells (aka create free radicals), which can result in a number of skin ailments. Antioxidants are essential to restore balance to the damaged cells. While we can introduce antioxidants to our body through diet, skin care products are also an effective additional form of delivery. Look for products like our Daytime Antioxidant Serum, which is packed full of ingredients that are natural antioxidants, like Organic Green Tea and Organic Olive Leaf Extract.
Your body doesn’t naturally produce Vitamin E. Vitamin E is one of the most powerful antioxidants available to fight free radicals, but our bodies don’t produce it naturally. It is a primary defender against oxidation, and studies show that when topically applied, it can reduce UV-induced skin damage. We use a Vitamin E derived from non-GMO soybeans and have incorporated it into several of our products, including our Carrot Facial Dream Cream as a daily, proactive line of defense against the sun’s harmful rays.
As we age, our ability to naturally produce collagen diminishes, which is the reason for fine line and wrinkles. There are ingredients, however, which have been found to encourage its production, like pea peptides. Found in our Peptide Booster Serum, peptides are proteins that help produce collagen so that skin stays soft, supple, and smooth.
It is important to wash your face twice a day. You’ve heard that cleansing too often can irritate skin or strip the face of necessary oils. However, cleansing is important to rid skin of lingering sweat, bacteria, and other pore-clogging bacteria. Choosing a gentle, yet effective, cleanser like our Tamanu Luxury Facial Cleanser, will keep your skin clean, calm, and smooth.
Moisturizing is important for all skin types. Sure some environments need more moisture than other, it’s always important to incorporate at least one moisturizer in your daily routine. Artificial air or a simple change in diet or fluid intake can quickly dehydrate skin. Let products like our B Quenched, formulated with moisture-rich Organic Black Cumin Seed Oil, Organic Camellia Oil and Organic Argan Oil – keep your skin hydrated.
Lips aren’t just for lipstick. Even though you’re ditching the lip color, using the right lip products will keep them from drying or cracking. We love our Lip Assist Conditioning Treatment for it’s easy application, vanilla taste, and its ability to moisturize lips. Our Lip Yummies are another favorite go-to for on-the-go moisturizing applications.
SPF protection is an everyday thing, even when it is cloudy or cold outside. The sun's UV rays can do serious damage on skin. Through an oxidation process, they transform healthy skin cells to free radicals. To prevent this from happening, sunscreen is an effective first line of defense.
While your makeup might not be going on that beach vacation with you this summer, we implore you to take the essential skin care products needed to keep your skin healthy. But what are the essential products? We recommend using our Tamanu Luxury Facial Cleanser twice a day, and daily usage of moisturizing and skin-enriching products like our Daytime Antioxidant Serum, Carrot Facial Dream Cream, Antioxidant Skin Boost, or Peptide Booster Serum. Since all skin is different, we recommend starting a new skincare routine with our Traveler, which contains 6 plentiful portions of our most popular skincare products. It is a great way to discover what works best for your skin. And as always, if you have ever any questions, you can email us at email@example.com.
With a good foundation of skincare products and the resulting healthy skin, we invite you to go out with your own fresh face as an emblem of your good health and vigor. Celebrate that beautiful face!
- Page 1 of 8