By now, we’re likely all aware of the basic concepts of self care. The phrase, “you can’t help others unless you’ve helped yourself” has probably come across your path in one form or another. The tricky part comes in when it is time to actually do the self care and figuring out which form is right for you. Self care is not a one size fits all model. Be patient with yourself as you find the right fit.
Let’s explore the importance of self care and how it can be tied into your skincare routine.
1. Routine is your best friend. Routine brings stability, a cornerstone of a balanced life. Ask yourself what healthy habits you can add to your daily routine. When doing this, it’s important to be honest with yourself. If you know that you can’t commit to face wash, toner, moisturizer, and serum each night, don’t make that promise to yourself. Start with little changes, like perhaps just consistently washing and moisturizing your face. As you go, you can add in more steps when it feels right.
You can also consider thinking about weekly and monthly routines as well. This could be a weekly bath and B Green Mud Mask or a monthly organic facial. Remember, this is your routine. Make it work for you.
2. Be intentional. When removing the grime of the day is the only thing between you and your bed after a stressful day, it can be hard not to just go through the motions. Play around with switching your mindset and self talk. This can also be known as reframing your thoughts. Here is an example: “I am so tired, the last thing I want to do is wash my face tonight.” → “My day was so full, I accomplished a great deal. I am going to take this time for myself to reflect on my day and get ready for a good night of sleep.”
3. Consider taking this time to practice some affirmations or mantras. This is generally a phrase or phrases that you repeat to yourself. It can keep your mind from wandering and help build you up. Where better to start a practice like this than when you’re caring for your skin?
Some favorites at Sally B’s include;
4. Be Patient. Like any new habit, it takes time to see results. Both in consistency and effects. You might find that you are struggling to keep up with your new routine every single day, that’s alright. When you skip a day, forgive yourself for it and start over the next day. As you go, you’re likely to find that you’re feeling better on the inside and out. Your skin will thrive from the extra nourishment it is receiving and you will feel more confident and connected to yourself.
5. Have Fun. Self care is meant to be an act of compassion and can be fun! Bring a little levity to your day and enjoy yourself! Take care of your skin and dance to your favorite music, or throw on a good podcast. There are no rules, just do what is best for you!!
We hope you found these tips to be helpful. We would love to know what has worked for you!
Check out routines for inspiration to get started on your skincare + self care journey!