In an era of advertising claims, it is disheartening to witness numerous companies asserting their products as "clean" or "non-toxic," only to discover that the ingredients tell a different story. In such circumstances, how can we navigate this issue? At Sally B's we are transparent with our product development and are dedicated to ensuring the each is made with beneficial, clean, and ethically sourced ingredients. We also believe in empowering you to make informed decisions. We do not sell products behind gimmicky marketing campaigns, but rather transparent honesty.
But don't take our word for it. When it comes time to incorporate a new product to your routine, don't settle on one that is self-proclaimed "clean" or "safe." Dig a bit deeper to determine if its the right product for you by following these steps:
- Research the company. Click over to the company's website and research its values. Start by visiting the company's mission statement, ingredient sourcing practices, and claims they make about product safety. Look for transparency, certifications, and their commitment to safe ingredients.
- Read ingredient lists. Check the ingredient lists of the products you are interested in. Look out for harmful chemicals such as parabens, phthalates, sulfates, formaldehyde, and synthetic fragrances. Educate yourself about these ingredients and their potential health risks. Learn more: Be Your Own Expert - Ingredients
- Verify certifications. Look for recognized certifications, such as USDA Organic, EWG Verified, COSMOS Organic, or Leaping Bunny. These certifications help ensure that the products meet the specific safety and ethical standards that align with your values.
- Research reviews and ratings. Look for independent reviews and ratings from reputable sources or fellow consumers. Check Environmental Working Group's (EWG) Skin Deep Database for easy-to-understand ratings for a product's potential toxicity.
- Follow trustworthy sources. Stay updated with reliable sources of information on clean beauty, such as reputable beauty bloggers, dermatologists, and regulatory agencies focused on product safety.
Remember, no product or brand can guarantee 100% safety of their skincare products. Every person's skin comes with its own sensitivities and allergies. It's important to be patient and mindful as you find and try products. Don't fall victim to marketing claims - instead, go beyond the label and pick the products that will truly make your skin healthy.