From food to relationships, no matter where we turn, there's a toxic this or that threatening to infiltrate a part of our lives. But you don't have to accept toxins in your skincare. Not when you have Sally B's Skin Yummies in your corner.
Begin replacing the "toxic" with "non-toxic" by choosing skincare products that are free from ingredients and chemicals that can be harmful to your health. Sally B's Skin Yummies' collection of moisturizers, serums, and balms are formulated with natural, organic, and sustainably sourced ingredients. They are free of parabens, sulfates, phthalates, synthetic fragrances, and artificial colors - ingredients that can negatively impact your skin's health and appearance.
Why avoid potentially harmful personal care products?
For starters, there are no strict regulations to serve as guardrails for the personal care industry. All too common in the industry are companies that use affordable, chemical ingredients and misleading marketing claims to benefit their bottom line.
Also, take for instance some of the potentially toxic ingredients we called out above. Once you learn more about them, it makes sense to avoid them whenever possible:
- Parabens - Parabens are the most commonly used skin care preservative (mainly because of its low cost), yet have been linked to breast cancer. In fact, one 2012 study published in The Journal of Applied Toxicology found parabens in nearly 100% of all cancerous breast tumors studied. How to spot them: look for the word paraben. Often times it will start with ethyl-, methyl-, propyl-, butyl-.
- Sulfates – Sulfates are known skin irritants and hormone disruptors, but can still be found in a countless number of lathering products and hair care products. How to spot them: look for sodium laureth sulfate (SLES), sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS), ammonium laureth sulfate (ALES), and ammonium lauryl sulfate (ALS).
- Fragrance – The term"fragrance"seen on a product labelcan indicate that any number of toxic ingredients have been used, including pthlates. These "hidden" ingredients are used to give fragrance more staying power, but are known hormone disruptors (especially in males) and can affect brain development. Artificial fragrance ingredients have also been known to induce allergies, dizziness, headaches, and skin rashes. Learn more about fragrance by clicking here. How to spot it: look for "fragrance" on ingredient lists, ethylene oxide, or Dibutylphthlalate (DBP, DEP, butyl ester)
What you can do to promote clear and healthy skin
Instead of covering up blotchy, irritated, or aging skin with chemical makeup, choose alternatives made with thoughtful and intentional formulations. These non-toxic skincare products are gentle, nourishing, and healing. And when used daily, these products give your skin an enviable natural look, while enriching its overall well-being for years to come.
5 reasons why making the switch to non-toxic skin care products is the sustainable and smart choice
We all have unique health journeys, but a routine of non-toxic skincare products is beneficial to everyone.
- Protect your skin. Non-toxic skincare products are free from chemical and potentially toxic ingredients. By using non-toxic skincare products, you can minimize the risk of skin irritation, allergies, and long-term damage to your skin.
- Promote skin health from deep within. Many conventional skincare products contain ingredients such as parabens, sulfates, and phthalates, which have been linked to potential health concerns. By opting for non-toxic skincare, you can reduce your exposure to these potentially harmful substances.
- Make positive environmental impact. Non-toxic skincare mostly relies from-nature and responsibly sourced ingredients, which are better for the environment. What you put on and rinse off your body go back into our water ways and ground layers, so it's important we're not introducing chemicals to these important systems.
- Embrace nature's healing properties. Throughout history, humans have discovered and utilized various plants for their healing properties. From herbs like chamomile and lavender for relaxation to aloe vera for soothing skin ailments, there is a rich tradition of natural remedies around the world. Intentionally incorporating these ingredients into Sally B's Skin Care products give them the ability to enrich and potentially heal the skin.
- Versatility. Because from-nature ingredients have more than one beneficial quality, most of Sally B's Skin Yummies are effective in more than one way. Our Antioxidant Daytime Serum moisturizes and protects against free radicals; Tinted Moisturizer moisturizes, calms skin, and serves as the first layer of sun protection. Using versatile products not only cuts down on the time spent on daily routines, but also is more affordable.
Making the switch to non-toxic products is easy!
Making the switch to non-toxic ingredients doesn't have to be overwhelming. Most of Sally B's Skin Yummies' products are suitable for most skin types, allowing new users to feel confident picking a new product for their skin care routine. We usually suggest the Tamanu Luxury Facial Cleanser as the go-to product for those embarking on their non-toxic journey. Softer, clearer skin is quickly noticeable, which helps up prove our point that non-toxic skincare products are worth it.