INCI NAME: Simmondsia chinensis
EWG SCORE: 0
- Unrefined jojoba oil has a clear golden hue with a slightly nutty odor while refined jojoba oil is colorless and odorless.
- Jojoba oil (it's actually a liquid wax) is extracted from the seed of a nut from the jojoba shrub grown in the southwestern United States, Mexico, and South America.
- While Native Americans have been using Jojoba oil for hundreds of years, Jojoba oil didn't make a name for itself commercially until the 1980s when it was found to be a sustainable (and cruelty-free!) alternative to Whale Oil, which believe it or not used to be a common skin care ingredient. Today it continues to be a replacement for whale oil and other whale oil derivatives such as cetyl alcohol.
- Jojoba oil is relatively shelf-stable when compared with other vegetable oils mainly because it does not contain triglycerides, which increase the rate of rancidity and oxidization.
- It is not only an excellent source of moisture, but it also mimics our skin’s naturally occurring sebum (oil) and helps to keep our sebaceous glands balanced, stopping the over production of oil when necessary.
- Jojoba oil absorbs quickly into skin without clogging pores and its antibacterial properties help to reduce infection, which is ideal for those suffering from acne.
SKIN CARE BENEFITS AND USES
- An excellent ingredient for moisturizers, jojoba nourishes and revitalizes the skin.
- Jojoba is non-greasy and leaves skin feeling smooth and soft.
- Makes for an excellent hair moisturizer and softener.
- Helps to minimize the appearance of stretch marks and heal scars.
FIND IT IN
- Sugar Scrub
- Healing Hand Butter
- Eco Body Lotion
- Intensive Eye Repair
- Foaming Hand Soap
- Get Even Finishing Powder
- Luxury Mineral Foundation
- Saffron Powder Color Corrector
- Seafoam Powder Color Corrector
- Solid Perfume