The 10 Best Ways To Take Care Of Your Skin , 1 Comment
Some of the best things you can do for your skin don't require gimmicky routines or fancy products. Rather, thoughtfulness, consistency, and TLC are three simple tools you need to create a foundation of healthy, beautiful skin. From exercising regularly to eating a balanced diet to being conscious of the products you use, we give you 10 simple ways to love your skin.
The 10 Best Ways To Take Care Of Your Skin
- Cleanse Your Face Twice a Day. Using a gentle, non-toxic cleanser, like our Tamanu Luxury Facial Cleanser, wash your face morning and night (and after bouts of excess sweating) to ensure that skin and pores are free of dirt, grime, and bacteria. Failure to do so can increase pore size, make skin oilier, and even cause acne.
- Get Plenty of Good Sleep. Getting good, restful sleep is essential for proper skin cell and tissue rejuvenation. Achieve restful sleep by clearing your mind as much as possible before your head hits the pillow. Power down cellphones, TV, and other stimulating activities about thirty minutes before your intended bedtime, and read a “for fun” book or listen to music instead.
- Choose Your Environments Wisely. Heavy air pollution, cigarette smoke, or artificial fragrance can greatly impact skin health by forming free radicals or causing skin irritations. Be conscious of your environment and opt to hang out in "clean air" environments as often as possible. If you can’t, you can help repair skin with thoughtful product selection. Think a good an organic cleanser and products made with antioxidants!
- Increase Consumption of Antioxidants. Antioxidants neutralize free radicals, so it’s important to fuel your body with these hardworking ingredients. Use products that include them in their formulations (look for Vitamin C, Green Tea, Olive Leaf, Licorice Root, and Pomegranate, to name a few), or incorporate them into your diet. Blueberries, sweet potatoes, strawberries, and broccoli are all good food sources of antioxidants.
- Exfoliate Your Face Gently. When skin is dry and flaky we can be tempted to scrub with abrasive ingredients. But resist the urge! Doing so can cause skin irritation or even break the delicate capillaries in the skin. Instead, look for gentle, but effective, exfoliating ingredients like alpha hydroxy acids (AHA) found in natural fruit acids. Our Fruit Acid Toner is a great option.
- Exercise Regularly. Exercise – like doing yoga or going for a run – helps to increase blood flow to skin to help keep it clear and free of toxins. It also helps to decrease stress, which we know from experience can have an unsightly effect on skin.
- Use A Daily Moisturizer. No matter what your skin type – dry, oily, combination, or acne prone – maintaining a healthy moisture balance is extremely important. Proper moisture helps prevent dry, flaky skin, and keeps skin cells performing at their most optimal. This can help prevent fine lines and wrinkles from forming.
- Drink Plenty of Water. Drinking water feeds the skin from the inside, helping to keep it soft and supple. Dehydration has been known to cause dry and cracked skin. But did you know it can also contribute to dark under-eye circles and acne?
- Wear An SPF. Too much sun can seriously damage skin. Not only can it dry it out, but it can also create damaging free radicals, which we know contribute to unwanted fine lines, wrinkles, and dark spots. Sunscreen acts as a first line of defense against the sun’s harmful rays and should always be worn during prolonged times of sun exposure.
- Read Ingredient Listings. There are very few, if any, marketing regulations in the personal care industry, so you have to be your own expert and self-police the products you buy. Look at ingredient listings and avoid products that have red flag, toxic ingredients like mineral oil, parabens, propylene glycol, and artificial fragrance. Instead look for products made with non-toxic, organic ingredients that do no harm to the skin. Click here to learn more about how to read an ingredient label.
Clear, healthy skin is achievable and we're here to help you find the right combinations to get the job done. If you're new to nontoxic products or Sally B's, we recommend picking up our Traveler, which has 6 smaller portions of our most popular skin care products. This is a great way to try our products to determine which works best for your skin. And as always, if you ever have any questions, you can always email us at email@example.com.