Winter Skin Care Tips - Daytime Edition , 1 Comment
Skin is especially finicky during the fall and winter months. Dry air, harsh winds, and artificial heat, can beat up healthy skin, causing it to dry out, become cracked, irritated or inflamed. It can even appear dull from a build up of dead skin cells, which is less than ideal for your social calendar of festive events. The holidays are stressful enough without having to worry about skin issues. Here are some winter skin care tips to keeping your skin healthy and moisturized throughout the day:
STARTING THE DAY
- Wash your face morning and night with a gentle cleanser. Our Tamanu Luxury Facial Cleanser is a great option because not only is it gentle, but it has anti-inflammatory and moisturizing qualities.
- Add an extra layer of moisturizer to your skin care routine. The perfect product will vary from person to person and climate to climate, but for most of us it is a good idea to add an additional moisturizing product. A serum, like our Daytime Antioxidant Serum, is lightweight and super moisturizing (read more about it here), as is our newest product, B Quenched Facial Oil. This lightweight oil is moisturizing and an anti-inflammatory to calm and smooth skin.
- Don't forget the sunscreen. Believe it or not, some of the most severe cases of sunburn happen during the winter. Not only are you contending with the sun’s rays beaming down on you, its harmful UV rays also reflect off the snow for a double whammy of exposure. Be sure to choose a non-toxic sunscreen (like these recommended by the Environmental Working Group), as chemicals can dry out and cause damage to cells.
- Increase your water intake. While products applied topically will help in the moisture department, moisturizing your skin from within is essential. Drink water continually throughout the day, not just when you're thirsty, to help keep skin from drying out.
- Limit your sugar intake. Hard to do during the holidays, we know, but sugar isn’t so sweet to our bodies. It can accelerate the signs of aging, cause inflammation in the body, and play tricks on our energy levels. Read more about sugar’s effects on the skin here.
- Avoid whipping winds. Harsh winds can severely dry out and irritate skin. On particularly windy days, wrap a scarf around your face and limit outdoor exposure. If you do get windburn, soothe skin with an antioxidant-rich mud mask like this one here or dab on a bit of B Soothed, our non-toxic, plant-based, petroleum jelly alternative.
- Limit your exposure to fake holiday scents, especially candles. Tis' the season for artificial fragrance, which can cause allergic reactions. Deck your halls with live greenery instead to create a natural, healthy festive scent.
- Don’t sit too close to the fire. Some chemicals found in smoke can dry and damage skin cells, not to mention cause a buildup of dead skin cells. Dry, flaky skin cells left unattended can attract dirt and bacteria, and keep your moisturizing ingredients from properly doing their job.
- Keep socks and gloves dry. While moisture is good, too much moisture is less than ideal. Wet socks and gloves can irritate and crack skin, or even lead to fungal infections like athlete’s foot.
- Always be prepared. Stash an extra pair of socks and gloves in your bag, along with a moisturizer, cuticle cream and lip balm for on-the-go moisture replenishment. Our picks for your bag: our travel sized Healing Hand Butter, Natural Buff Cuticle Bar, Lip Yummies, and B Soothed.