A Blog For The Men , 0 Comments
Today is our first blog dedicated to the men in our lives. Read on and/or forward to your son/husband/dad/friend. They will thank you for this one day!
From hair care products to deodorant to fragrance to lip balm, not to mention shaving cream or facial hair styling waxes, your repertoire of daily products adds up. In fact, the average man uses 6 personal care products a day. Sure that number is well below a woman’s average product use (it’s 12), but it is still very much a reason to be concerned. Did you know that because of our almost unregulated skin care industry, your daily products could be exposing you (and everyone you cuddle with) to over 80 unique, toxic chemicals that have been linked to cancer, birth defects, learning disabilities and other chronic health problem? Just like women, you are not immune from cancers, acne skin conditions, or wrinkles.
So what products should you be using? Great question! First take a look at the product label of the products you’re currently using to see if they contain any harmful ingredients. It might be hard to decipher what ingredients are harmful, but here are five easy-to-spot, bad-for-you-ingredients (click on any of the ingredients to learn more):
- Propylene Glycol– a common carrier agent that can cause damage to the body’s central nervous system and lead to other adverse health reactions, including skin irritation.
- Fragrance– Skin care companies do not have to divulge ingredients that make up their proprietary ‘fragrance,’ but you should be aware that an estimated 3,000 chemicals, mostly synthetic, are used to manufacture an artificial fragrance.
- Parabens- Parabens are commonly used synthetic preservatives most known for their link to breast cancer. However, studies show that they also affect the male reproductive system by decreasing sperm levels.
- Mineral Oil– Mineral Oil or other petroleum based ingredients are the number 2 cause of aging. Mineral Oil dehydrates the skin and slows the rate of cell reproduction, which damages collagen, elastin, and connective tissues, which leads to pesky fine lines and wrinkles.
- Triclosan - A common ingredient in antibacterial soaps that has been linked to several adverse health conditions, including infertility. The future of this ingredient is currently under review by the FDA.
As a general rule, if there is one of these ingredients on the list, there are others in the formulation that you don’t want to be slathering on your skin.
A man’s skin can be put through the ringer (think: long days spent outside doing yard work or playing sports). It’s important that proper care is taken to maintain its health. Here are some products that we recommend to get you started on your quest to reduce your exposure to toxic ingredients:
- Lip balm made without petroleum. Most name brand lip balms contain Mineral Oil or some other petroleum byproduct. However, it could be doing more harm than good. Try our Mints in Harmony Lip Yummy made with Organic Coconut Oil for extreme moisture and healing.
- A gentle, daily cleanser. It’s easy to hit the sack without washing your face, but just think about the dirt and grime that has accumulated throughout the day. Cleansing with our Tamanu Luxury Facial Cleanser will ensure that your pores and skin stay free and clear of dirt and bacteria.
- Avoid all soaps and body washes made with ‘fragrance.’ We know the scent of springtime in the mountains is alluring, but there is nothing healthy about artificial fragrance. Swap out your toxic stuff with a soap scented with organic essential oils like our Woodland Spice Organic Bar Soap.
- Moisturize your hands. Have dry, rough hands from landscaping, cooking, or rock climbing? A hand cream that swaps mineral oils for moisture-rich, organic Shea Butter, Kokum Butter, or organic Jojoba Oil will heal hands in no time. Many men like the clean scent of our Lemon Ginger Hand Butter, but we've recently introduced our Unscented Healing Hand Butter, which is very popular.
- Say no to DEET. When spending time outside make sure you’re not spraying down with a toxic bug repellant. Our B Unbitten blends organic essential oils that naturally repel mosquitoes to keep skin unbitten.
- Daily non-toxic sunscreen. For men who spend a lot of time outdoors, it is essential to cover up with SPF. The Environmental Working Group’s new sunscreen guide is robust with options. Stash an SPF in your car so you always have it on hand for reapplication or unexpected trips outside.
But the non-toxic, good-for-you products don’t have to stop here. So many of the products that us women use are beneficial for your skin, too. One Sally B’s husband loves the Nighttime Antioxidant Serum and another can’t get enough of using our Fruit Acid Toner, which prevents in grown hairs. To find the products that work best for you, don’t be afraid to try your wife/girlfriend/sisters non-toxic and organic products to see how they benefit your skin. Though if you would rather have your own stash,we created the Essential Men’s Collection, which features our favorite men’s products.
On a separate note, we've toyed with the idea of creating a men's line (complete with your own manly label!), but we have found the products formulated for the women are just as beneficial for men. Do we really need to create a new label marketed toward men or will you guys buy the products as is? Let us know what you think! We appreciate your feedback!
As always, we are always here to answer your questions about your individual skin type or a product. Just give us a call at 877.344.4537 or email us firstname.lastname@example.org.