In our busy, always-connected lives, it is not always easy to take time for ourselves. Decompressing from everyday stresses – both physically and mentally – is important for our personal health and for the health and appearance of our skin. Some may unwind with regular yoga classes, a book club, or knitting, but it can be as simple as taking a warm bath.
Baths are one of our favorite end-of-the-day indulgences. After a long day at the office, taking care of the kids, or juggling classes, a nice, warm bath is a welcomed retreat. It’s a spot where, for 20-30 minutes, you can be totally alone with your thoughts, a good book, or music to help clear your mind altogether. And don't forget that sometimes a bath can be a great way to gently enter a new day. One of our staffers loves to watch the sun come up from her perfectly perched bathtub.
Here are some tips to maximize the health and skin benefits of your bath:
- Detox. The warm water and steam from your bath naturally opens pores, but for more detoxifying power add sea salt to your tub. It will help to draw out toxins from your body.
- Unplug. Make the tub a gadget-free zone to let your eyes and mind enjoy a much-deserved break from checking updates, emails, and the news.
- Relax. Add a Tub Tea, essential oils, or Epsom salts to your tub to enhance its relaxation potential. Flowers like lavender, calendula, and chamomile, naturally soothe and calm muscles and the mind.
- Choose your products carefully. If you like bubbles in your bath, pay close attention to the products’ ingredients. Bubble bath is notorious for using artificial fragrance, sulfates (cleaning agent that creates sudsy bubbles), and parabens in their product formulation. As you soak in the tub, these ingredients have more time on your skin and can potentially cause more irritation or harm to you skin and body.
- Hydrate. Warm water, steam, and any detoxifying product additions can deplete your body of needed water. It’s important to re-hydrate with plenty of water once you’re finished with your bath. This becomes even more important if you decided to indulge in a glass of wine during your ritual.
- Take a quick shower first. If you have come from a workout, gardening, or any dirty job, rinse off the dirt, grime, and sweat off your body in the shower. The alternative is washing it off in the tub and it remaining in the water for the duration of your bath.
Your skin reacts to stress just as much as it reacts to the products you use. Taking time for you can significantly reduce stress levels, which is good for your mind, body, and soul.